It is always a privilege to partner with healthcare professionals to highlight the benefits of Florastor and our probiotic line.
We recently collaborated with Andy the RD, Toronto based renowned registered dietitian (RD) and published author.
Here’s what Andy had to say about Florastor!
Florastor is one of the most used and recommended probiotic globally, backed by over 65 years of use and referenced numerous times in the World Gastroenterology Organisation (WGO) guidelines1, and also recommended by Aeprobio Canada, Alliance for education on probiotics in north America: www.probioticchart.ca
So why is this product so well established and what gut health benefits can you expect to gain from using it?
These are the questions I will address in today’s post.
Let’s get to it!
Probiotics 101 – An Introduction
In order to better understand the benefits of using Florastor®, it will help to first lay a bit of groundwork for the term “probiotic”.
Probiotics, by plain definition, are live microorganisms that confer a benefit to those who use them.
Very often this is because they result in a net positive impact on the state of our gut bacteria by either increasing the population of healthy bacteria, decreasing the populations of unhealthy bacteria, or both.
This occurs in addition to specific actions related to the nature of the probiotic strain, such as anti-inflammatory effects and immunity stimulation.
Dysbiosis, the state of imbalance between good and bad gut bacteria caused by environmental factors (antibiotic use, diet, stress, sleep, tobacco,…), can be resolved or aided to some extent through the use of probiotics but the exact impact of any given probiotic is heavily dependent on the species and strain of the probiotic used, and not necessarily on the number of CFUs contained in the probiotic.
So when I discuss some of the science behind the highly specific Florastor® Saccharomyces boulardii CNCM I-745® probiotic, it’s important to understand that you cannot necessarily expect these same benefits by taking just any other probiotic product containing different species/strains.
A Closer Look At The Evidence Supporting Saccharomyces boulardii CNCM I-745®
Now that we’ve established some common ground, let’s look specifically at the body of science that supports the use of Florastor and its strain Saccharomyces boulardii CNCM I-745®.
As per a review paper published in 2015 out of Clinical and Experimental Gastroenterology2, Saccharomyces boulardii CNCM I-745® Florastor probiotic is very effective at helping the body recover from a state of dysbiosis more quickly than it otherwise would.
It does so via the exact mechanism I discussed in the previous section; it allows for the re-establishment of healthier gut bacteria species while inhibiting the growth of the “bad” bacteria that may be contributing to the problem.
According to a 2018 SAGE review3, Saccharomyces boulardii CNCM I-745® achieves this effect via:
- Direct effects on the immune response
- Changes to digestive enzymes
- Binding and removing “bad” bacteria
- Creating a more favourable environment for the growth of “good” bacteria
- Protecting the delicate mucus layer of the digestive tract
So what does all of this scientific stuff actually mean to YOU, the end user.
Well, according to a 2017 report published by the World Gastroenterology Organisation1, Florastor All-In-1 Saccharomyces boulardii CNCM I-745® has been determined to help with the following conditions:
- The treatment of acute cases of diarrhea in adults
- Antibiotic associated diarrhea (ie; diarrhea in those who are prescribed antibiotics)
- Treatment of conditions related to infection by Pylori and Clostridium difficile
- Gastritis, certain bacterial infections and antibiotic associated diarrhea in children
Getting Started With Florastor®
Now that you have a better understanding of how it helps, let’s jump into the practical aspects of getting started with Florastor®.
Here are a few things you need to know:
- Florastor® All-In-1 probiotics do not need to be refrigerated
- They are vegetarian and suitable for use for ages 3 months and beyond (speak with healthcare team if unsure)
- They can be taken simultaneously with antibiotics
- You can find and buy online the full product range via florastor.ca and on social media @florastor_canada
I’m very confident in the safety and efficacy of this product and my hope is that, after today’s article, you have gained a really good understanding of the types of benefits you can expect from the use of Florastor® All-In-1 and its unique Saccharomyces boulardii CNCM I-745® probiotic strain.
Until next time,
Andy De Santis RD MPH
Probiotics For Vulnerable Populations – Please Read
Consult a health care practitioner prior to use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, if you have fever, vomiting, bloody diarrhea, or severe abdominal pain. Do not use if you have an immune compromised condition (e.g. AIDS, lymphoma, patients undergoing long-term corticosteroid treatment). If symptoms of digestive upset (e.g. diarrhea) occur, worsen, or persist beyond three days, discontinue use and consult a health care practitioner. This product contains lactose, dextrin, and potato starch, do not use if you have such allergies.
- Francisco Guarner. Probiotics and prebiotics. World Gastroenterology Organisation Global Guidelines. February 2017.
- Moré MI, Swidsinski A. Saccharomyces boulardii CNCM I-745 supports regeneration of the intestinal microbiota after diarrheic dysbiosis – a review. Clin Exp Gastroenterol. 2015;8:237-255. Published 2015 Aug 14.
- Moré MI, Vandenplas Y. Saccharomyces boulardii CNCM I-745 Improves Intestinal Enzyme Function: A Trophic Effects Review. Clin Med Insights Gastroenterol. 2018;11:1179552217752679. Published 2018 Feb 9.